The Thurlestone Hotel
Supporting the hotel’s environmental and efficiency ambitions.
Offering a warm welcome and timeless charm, The Thurlestone Hotel holds a unique appeal among Devon hotels.
Owned by the Grose family since 1896, The Thurlestone Hotel is the oldest family-run hotel in England. With stunning coastal views across South Devon, it is a multi-award winning four-star hotel, offering first-class accommodation with luxury spa, golf and leisure facilities.
As a holder of the Green Tourism Gold Award, the hotel owners constantly strive for environmental and efficiency improvements that are sensitive to its stunning surroundings.
We were selected to conduct an energy review of the entire 19-acre site to assess current capability, waste, efficiency and investment opportunities. However, any solutions had to be turnkey to accommodate the hotel’s scheduled shutdown.
Our review flagged a number of opportunities for the owners to reduce consumption, invest in a more sustainable fuel source, attract Renewable Heating Incentive (RHI) payments and reduce energy bills.
yearly biomass pellet cost savings ( in comparison to oil)
Total 1st-year electricity contract savings of £7,476.11
Renewable Heat Incentive payments of £33,000 per year
“Inspired were awarded the contract based on their consulting capability and technical ability to design and implement a turnkey solution, which was crucial due to the restricted timescale. Their work is really paying off and will continue to do so for years to come.”Tim Hassell, Estates Director
As a result, we made the following improvements:
1. Highly efficient, cost-effective heating – Installation of an ETA Hack 199kW biomass boiler which burns wood pellets and supplies heat to the hotel via external pipework installed to minimise heat loss
2. Full integration into the hotel’s existing heating system – Both the hydraulic configuration and controls were reconfigured to increase system efficiency, as well as bringing the hotel under the view of the ETA control package providing complete system visualisation, fault notification and remote access.
3. Maximising space & saving time – Renovation of an existing outbuilding to provide a fuel store & plant room. With careful design, the existing space was maximised to ensure that the fuel store had sufficient volume to minimise the number of deliveries, whilst maintaining sufficient operating access within the plant room.
4. Reducing the hotel’s energy bills – We used the buying power from our Tier 1 broker status to ensure the hotel was on competitive rates for their new utilities contracts.
Since making the improvements, we have continued a close working relationship with the Thurlestone Hotel, providing service and maintenance, mechanical installation work and ongoing solutions to further reduce energy costs.
Process over £100k bills each month
Strength in numbers
- 650 utility reports
- 3,500 clients
- 275k meters analysed
- 30 TWh of energy procured annually
- £3bn worth of annual utilities cost
- 20 years experience
- On average, we generate £1.2m savings for our clients every month
- Ranked UK’s number one advisor by Cornwall Insight (2018-2022)
View more case studies
Explore more of our client case studies to see how we're helping companies across the UK transition to net-zero carbon and manage their response to climate change.